Melbourne Cup 2018
Join in all the fun of the Melbourne Cup at The Recky. We've got:
- Melbourne Cup Calcutta on Monday Nov 5 at 6:30pm
- TAB Presale on Monday - get your bets on early!
- Melbourne Cup Day Buffet Lunch
- Watch the race live on the big screen
Melbourne Cup Calcutta
This is your chance to own a horse in the Melbourne Cup! Come along on Monday evening November 5 from 6:00pm.
At 6:30pm the horses and their temporary owners are drawn, followed by the auction. Some people come individually, and some people form a syndicate and pool their money to buy a horse. It's a great exerience if you become a temporary owner or actually buy a horse. Don't miss out! Plenty of other fun on the night.
Not sure how a calcutta works? Click here.
Melbourne Cup Buffet Lunch
Book now for our Melbourne Cup Day Buffet Lunch. Tickets are $40.00 per person (available at the Club) and include:
- Free Bubbly on arrival
- Lucky Door Prizes & Best Dressed prizes
- 2 course Buffet
- Tea & Coffee
- 1 sitting only at 12:30pm
Tickets $40pp. Limited Tickets Available - will sell out! Buy your tickets now at the Club!
Betting on the Cup
Melbourne Cup TAB Pre-Sale tickets will be available at the Club from Monday 5 November. The Club will open at 10:00am on Melbourne Cup Day. Bet early to avoid disappointment!
The Club will open at 10:00am on Melbourne Cup Day. TAB betting facilities are available, and we have TV screens available in our main auditorium, our sports bar, our dining area and in our poker machine lounge.
The Melbourne Cup Calcutta and how it works:
- The Calcutta is held on the Monday evening before the Melbourne Cup.
- Raffle tickets are pre-sold so that people have the chance of drawing a horse and becoming a temporary owner. You do not have to attend the Calcutta to be a temporary owner, just purchase your tickets and leave them at the bar. Calcutta tickets can be purchased at the bar prior to the event.
- On the evening, all the raffle tickets purchased are put in a barrel and the Melbourne Cup horses in another barrel. If your name is drawn out you become the temporary owner of the horse that is drawn out of the other barrel at the same time.
- All horses are then up for auction.
- The temporary owner will get half of what is bid for the horse, the remainder going into a prize pool (which also includes the money from the calcutta tickets sold). So if you drew a horse and it was auctioned for $100, you receive $50 as temporary owner. Of course, you can bid for your own horse knowing that you are only paying half the price!!
- The prize pool grows as the horses are auctioned off.
- After the last horse is auctioned, the prize pool is worked out, with a certain percentage for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and last.
- Temporary owners quickly realise that if they bid for their own horse they are really only paying half the cost as half will be paid back to them as temporary owners. A great way to buy a horse in the Melbourne Cup!